Frequently asked questions (FAQ) 

Bloc texte

Group insurance for individuals in case of accident

Bloc texte

1. If I am neither a Canadian citizen nor permanent resident, can I take advantage of En Piste's group accident insurance?
No. You must pay taxes in Canada and be covered by your provincial health insurance plan to be eligible for this group insurance plan.

However, if you do not meet these criteria, there are other insurance products that can fulfill your needs, such as expatriate insurance.

2. Must I be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to obtain liability, property or travel insurance?
No. Only group accident insurance for individuals is reserved for Canadian citizens, permanent residents or visitors enrolled in RAMQ or another provincial health insurance plan.

Bloc texte

1. When are injuries covered by group accident insurance?
Group accident insurance covers an individual while carrying out normal and usual business activities, including during training and under employment contract.

2. Will this insurance be useful only if I am seriously injured?
No. This insurance covers all types of injuries that occur in a professional context. However, the more severe the injury, the higher the amount of compensation will be.

3. Does En Piste's group accident insurance also cover injuries incurred in everyday life (like slipping on ice when it's -20°)?
No. Group accident insurance covers only injuries incurred in the course of normal and usual work activities.

4. Are physiotherapy services covered by group accident insurance?
Yes, but not preventive treatments. Group accident insurance does cover all paramedical care necessary to heal an injury that occurred during the exercise of professional activities.

5. Does group accident insurance cover me while abroad?
Yes. However, the coverage amount is determined relative to the cost of local treatment. In the case of injury abroad, the person covered therefore may quickly reach the coverage limit.

For this reason, we advise you to always combine group accident insurance for individuals with travel insurance.

6. What is the difference between the coverage offered by the CNESST and group accident insurance coverage?
CNESST only covers individuals whose employer contributes to a plan for their permanent or contract employees. In addition, CNESST coverage is only in effect during professional circus performances.

For its part, En Piste’s group accident insurance covers all circus artists during any professional activities, whether during training or under professional contract.

7. I need health insurance. Is it the same as the disability insurance included in the group accident insurance?
No. Health insurance refers to drug insurance while disability insurance replaces wages.

8. Can I add prescription drug insurance to my group accident insurance?
Yes, this complementary product is available. To add it, simply request it from our insurance broker.

Bloc texte

1. Is this insurance mandatory for all En Piste members?
No, this protection is not mandatory. However, a minimum participation threshold is required to obtain a group rate.

2. Does the price of insurance include En Piste membership?
No. The price indicated is only that of the group accident insurance. However, you must become a member of En Piste to have access to its insurance products.

3. Is it possible to sign up for group accident insurance for a short period (a week or month) and get a prorated rate during the current year?
Unfortunately, no. It is not possible to join the group accident insurance program for a short period, as membership is on an annual basis until December 31 of each year.

Contact our insurance broker to find out how to take out shorter-term insurance.

4. Can I enrol in the group accident insurance while I am abroad?
Yes. It is quite possible to join the group accident insurance plan for individuals while you are abroad.

Bloc texte

1. What should I do in case of injury? What are the claim procedures?
When your registration is accepted, you will receive two important documents:

One that explains the claims process in the event of an accident.
Another describing your coverage and providing your policy number.

You need both abovementioned documents to make a claim. In case of injury, you must provide us with your first and last names, and your policy number.

You also are required to consult a doctor to attest to your injury as soon as possible. In fact, your claim must be substantiated by medical opinion.

2. Do I have a number as an insured (or group)?
No. You do not have a personal insurance number because you are part of the group insurance plan. However, you do have a policy number, which you need to make a claim.

3. How are disability benefits calculated? When will I receive compensation if I am injured?
If the insured person becomes totally disabled within 30 days of the accident, the company pays compensation equal to 80% of the weekly gross salary up to a maximum of $750 per week.

There is a wait period of 7 days before receiving benefits, which are subject to a maximum period of 104 weeks.

Bloc texte

1. How can I provide proof of insurance to my employer?
Write to us at [email protected] and request proof of enrollment in the En Piste group accident insurance plan for individuals. You will receive a letter confirming your group insurance membership.

Bloc texte

Liability Insurance

Bloc texte

1. I need liability insurance. How does it work?
Coverage varies depending on your activities. And so, you should not be surprised if your insurance broker asks you several questions about your undertakings.

For example, if you engage in activities involving fire, hazardous materials or public participation, it is your responsibility to notify the insurer or risk not being covered in the event of a disaster.

2. How are the liability insurance rates calculated?
Insurance pricing is calculated on the basis of risk according to tables compiled using various insurer statistics.

3. I need liability insurance for the short term or only for an event. Is that possible?
Yes. While insurance policies are usually valid for a period of one year and are renewable at that time, one-time coverage is available that could, for example, cover a single day.

It is important to know that policies in effect do not renew automatically. You must contact your insurance broker to renew or to change the number of performances or activities in which you engage. 

4. I need liability insurance for my annual activities. How can I choose the right one?
Your insurance broker is your ally. This person will guide you towards the available insurance product that best suits you and your needs.

Bloc texte

Travel Insurance

Bloc texte

1. Why should I take out travel insurance?
Whether traveling abroad or staying in a neighboring province, travel insurance protects you for the duration of your trip, including while performing your work duties.

No worries, it's easy to find the perfect coverage in the comfort of your living room on Tugo.com. You can also take out coverage for family members.

2. What does travel insurance cover?
This type of insurance covers medical expenses incurred outside the insured's province of residence. It could, for example, protect you from the financial consequences of an unexpected health problem or accident that occurs while abroad, especially during your leisure or work activities.

Make sure you are covered in case of medical emergencies, travel delays, or property theft.

3. How much does travel insurance cost?
The price varies according to the insured’s age, destination and length of stay. Plan between $50 and $100 for a one-month stay, and between $150 and $300 for a 3-month stay.

4. If I fall ill or get injured while traveling, will the provincial health insurance plan cover my medical expenses?
Provincial health plans provide limited coverage for medical treatment and hospitalization outside Canada.

For example, some plans do not cover ambulance services, emergency dental treatments or prescription drugs.

5. Why would I need travel insurance if my credit card already offers it?
It is true that some credit cards offer basic travel insurance. However, such coverage is often limited.

The coverage offered by your credit card company could indeed end after a certain number of days or if you are over a certain age. And often it only applies if you pay for your trip with your credit card. Moreover, it almost certainly excludes activities considered extreme, which may include the circus.

Do your homework!

6. When should I take out travel insurance?
To be well protected, take out insurance before you leave. Your plan must cover the entire length of the trip, including the days of departure and return.

Bloc texte

Property and Equipment Insurance

Bloc texte

1. I would like to cover my goods and work equipment. What should I cover?
Insurance coverage is based on the total value of your belongings when new. It is important to cover anything used in the course of your activities.

As a matter of fact, following a covered loss, without such equipment or gear you would be unable to fulfill your contracts, which might involve performing and/or quickly replacing these goods because of the value.

Bloc texte

Expatriate and Inpatriate Insurance

Bloc texte

1. I am a foreigner who resides in Canada on a work or study permit. What insurance plan should I enrol in?
You must purchase travel insurance with Tugo, as our brokers are currently looking for an insurer to cover expatriates and inpatriates in case of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (ADM) and/or disability.

The current insurer, Industrial Alliance, only covers Canadian citizens.

2. I am a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, but I am going to live or work abroad for an extended period. Do I need insurance?
Yes, if you reside in Quebec for at least 6 months of the calendar year.

If this is not the case, you must apply to the Régie d’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) for coverage outside Quebec. The rules differ in other provinces. We therefore advise you to get informed before leaving.

Our recommendation is to take out group accident insurance, which will cover you in case of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (ADM) and/or disability.

You should also buy travel insurance with Tugo to cover medical expenses.

3. I am a foreigner who resides in Canada on a work or study permit, but I am going to work abroad for an extended period. What insurance should I take?
You must purchase travel insurance with Tugo, as our brokers are currently looking for an insurer to cover expatriates and inpatriates in case of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (ADM) and/or disability.

Our current insurer, Industrial Alliance, only covers Canadian citizens.

Bloc texte

Group insurance for organizations

Bloc texte

1. I run a circus organization and I would like to offer a group insurance plan to my employees. How much does it cost?
Since this insurance product is priced according to each organization’s activities and needs, please contact our insurance broker to learn about your options.

Bloc texte

Joining the Alliance

Bloc texte

1. I would like to become a member of En Piste. However, I am neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident. Can I join?
It is possible to become a member if you have a work or study permit.

Otherwise, you may join En Piste as an associate member but will not have access to all the benefits and privileges of an individual member.

2. Is it possible for my organization to become a member of En Piste if it is not incorporated?
No, unfortunately; it must be a non-profit organization or a private company. However, members of your organization can become individual members and gain access to many benefits and privileges, from which your organization will also benefit indirectly.

3. My organization is a member of En Piste. Are all my employees also members by default?
No. The member organization must appoint three voting members, who will have the right to vote at the general meeting and represent the organization at En Piste activities. These members have access to the benefits and privileges offered by En Piste.

It is also possible to offer membership to your employees for $21 per person. They will be registered as associate members, receive a membership card and have access to several benefits and privileges.

Bloc texte

1. I completely forgot to renew my membership! Is it possible to do this without having to undergo the evaluation process?
If you have been a member in this category before, it is possible to renew it with no evaluation required.

2. What period does En Piste membership cover?
En Piste membership is valid from January 1 to December 31.

3. How do I go about renewing En Piste membership?
It’s easy!  You may do so online by going to our website and following the instructions.

4. What payment methods are accepted to renew my membership?
You can pay on our website via PayPal or credit card.

Cheques sent by regular mail also are accepted.

Bloc texte

If you are having trouble completing your individual or corporate membership profile, check out our guides specifically designed to make your life easier!

Check out our guides

Bloc texte

Continuing Education

Bloc texte

1. Can I enrol in a group or personalized training programs even if I am not a member?
Yes of course! The workshops are open to all circus professionals. However, if places are limited then priority will be given to En Piste members.

2. Am I eligible for the rate subsidized by Emploi-Québec?
Yes, you are eligible for the subsidized rate if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or hold a work permit, and you reside in Québec.

However, asylum seekers, full-time students and foreign workers participating in the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program are not eligible for the subsidized rate.

Those who do not qualify for the subsidized rate cannot participate in individual programs, but can still register for group training sessions by paying the actual cost of the session.

3. Am I automatically accepted to a course or workshop once I register?For group sessions, your place will be reserved as soon as registration is completed.

However, En Piste will verify your registration and payment method before confirming. Your application then will be evaluated by the instructor. If the session fills up quickly, registrations of members will be prioritized.

For personalized training programs, your application will first be analyzed according to the program’s eligibility criteria and application relevance. Once it is approved by En Piste and the letter of commitment is signed by the instructor, you must pay the invoice in order to complete the registration and so that the training program can begin.

Bloc texte

Can’t find your question on this list? Please contact us to receive the answers you seek.